Final Portfolio Q&A Thread

Dr. Brandon
Administrator
Use this thread to ask and get answers to any questions you have about the final portfolio assignment.

Steve

Re: Final Portfolio Q&A Thread

Kendall
Is the portfolio rough draft, due tomorrow, another revised version of the essay we wrote before Spring Break? Or is this a totally different essay?

Re: Final Portfolio Q&A Thread

Dr. Brandon
Administrator
The draft which is due tomorrow is another revised, updated version of your mid-term reflective cover essay.   You'll polish and go through another draft for week sixteen. Look at the examples in the Week Sixteen assignment descriptions for examples of portfolio reflective cover essays/posts that were very effective.

Steve

Stephen Brandon, PhD
Professor, Composition and Rhetoric
J. Sargent Reynolds Community College
Richmond, VA 23221

Often the accurate answer to a usage question begins, "It depends." And what
it depends on most often is where you are, who you are, who your listeners
or readers are, and what your purpose in speaking or writing is.
-Kenneth G. Wilson, usage writer (b. 1923)

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Kendall [via General Assembly Online Discussion Forum, ENG 241, Spring 2011] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is the portfolio rough draft, due tomorrow, another revised version of the essay we wrote before Spring Break? Or is this a totally different essay?

To unsubscribe from Final Portfolio Q&A Thread, click here.

Re: Final Portfolio Q&A Thread

Kristi Kesler
I just submitted my "early draft of final portfolio's reflective cover essay" and I basically took my original mid-term reflective essay and revised it a bit and added a few more paragraphs...obviously because we covered more information since mid-terms.  Hopefully this is correct.

Dr. B....will you be critiqing our essay and letting us know what we did wrong? or could use improvement on?

Re: Final Portfolio Q&A Thread

Dr. Brandon
Administrator
Yes. Over the course of the coming week, I'll be looking at drafts and sending out emails to students.

The portfolio is a critical assignment, so I don't want to underplay it in any way, shape, or form; however, it shouldn't prove too draining for students.  You should think of it as a way of showing me the semester and your learning from your perspective.  I've got your blogs to judge the quality of your work and how active you've been in terms of learning, reading, thinking, and writing.  The portfolio allows you to show off this work from your perspective.  What helped you learn?  Why? What did you learn about how you learn?  What did you learn about the literature, authors, and time period, and how have you or do you plan to actually use this learning (if you do at all) in your life?  The portfolio also allows students to present your view of your performance in the class.  What slowed you down, caused assignments to come in late, and why are some missing entirely?  This lets students with weaker semester records explain what has been going on and let me know what threw them and what worked for them really well.

Students learn from reviewing their work and having to put their learning into the context of the learning outcomes, and I learn how to improve the course.  Like a paper, courses go through iterations, tweaks, and revisions.  My goal is to keep the things which help the most students learn and create the best opportunities for students to learn the outcomes for the course and to replace the things which students find tedious or unhelpful.

I hope this helps clarify what I hope to see.

What I hate to see are essays which obviously try to skew the semester for a higher grade or which--worse--brown nose.  The tone you should be working for is measured, self-reflective, and objective about what you learned and what you didn't.

The main reason that I find the portfolio helpful is that I so often up a grade based on the portfolios and the stories they tell.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Kristi Kesler [via General Assembly Online Discussion Forum, ENG 241, Spring 2011] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just submitted my "early draft of final portfolio's reflective cover essay" and I basically took my original mid-term reflective essay and revised it a bit and added a few more paragraphs...obviously because we covered more information since mid-terms.  Hopefully this is correct.

Dr. B....will you be critiqing our essay and letting us know what we did wrong? or could use improvement on?

To unsubscribe from Final Portfolio Q&A Thread, click here.

Re: Final Portfolio Q&A Thread

Keith Vertrees
Dr. B,

I have emailed you a link to my cover essay draft. I separated the cover essay from the portfolio to make it stand on it's own. The entirety of my document is almost 20 pages, which is a bit hard to consume (I can be... wordy), so I wrote the cover essay to capture my contribution and experience of the class along a week by week timeline, whereas the portfolio portion is specifically addressing the learning outcomes from the class with extensive documentation.

I feel very good about what I've taken away from this course, and I hope I articulate it well.

Again, you may find my cover draft here.

Re: Final Portfolio Q&A Thread

Kristi Kesler
Hey Dr. B....

Time clock is ticking down and I keep checking my email for a critique or whatever of my rough draft essay...haven't seen anything yet...am I looking in the right place? or did I not submit my draft properly?

Just checking...

Re: Final Portfolio Q&A Thread

Rich Sena
Dr. B Ive just chunked a whole lot of work up on the blogg and the comitee. Forgive my forwardness but I was wondering where I stood for the semester grade wise, I though I would ask now befor the deadline tonight and the vacation post from our trip to Williamsburg. You should get it in a cpl hours.

thanks
Rich

Re: Final Portfolio Q&A Thread

Dr. Brandon
Administrator
Rich,

You were five weeks behind on some of the postings, so I'll have to see how this affects the class participation grade.